Pages

Sunday 3 August 2014

Hello!

Hey everyone!

I'm Imogen and I'll be your Women and Marginalised Genders' officer for the next academic year. I thought I'd start off with a little post to let you know a bit about myself, my ideas, and how to get in contact with me.

Who am I?
I'm about to start an MRes in the Classics department. But don't worry, I'm not new to Royal Holloway; I've been around for 3 years doing my undergraduate degree, so I'm familiar with the campus, the SU, and student life in the area.

I was an active member of the Amnesty International Society for three years and was on the committee for two of them, so activism isn't a new thing to me. When you bring problems to me I will do all that I can to help you.

For reference, here is a picture of me and some goats.




Why did I run?
I guess this question could have a lot of different answers, but really I just want to continue working towards a more inclusive campus where everyone feels safe. I really enjoy organising and campaigning for issues I'm passionate about and I'm looking forward to working with the other liberation officers to help achieve a campus where everyone feels welcome and cared for.

So...what do I plan to do?
I want create a campus where students are educated about their rights and issues that concern them. I want women and marginalised genders to feel represented in this on campus and by the end of the year to walk around more confident in expressing themselves and making a change.



Throughout the year I'll be holding talks on topics such as trans media awareness, consent, and equal pay among many more, I'll also be creating stronger links between the SU, the health centre and the counseling service so you know where to go if something's up. I'm hoping to organise self-defense workshops and women and marginalised genders gym introductions, and if there's anything else you need there will be regular forums where you can come and have your say.

You can view my election manifesto here.

How can you get in contact with me?
Facebook: RHUL women's and marginalised genders' network
Twitter: @rhulwmg
Email: rhulwmgo@gmail.com

You'll also be able to see me at the Fresher's Fayre with the other liberation officers.
The first forum will be on Wednesday the 8th October, and the first film screening will be on Sunday 12th October :)